Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Potatoes Romanoff


I think that twice-baked potatoes are one of the most delicious things ever. I don't have them often, but when I do, I go all out and put all sorts of deliciously unhealthy things on my potato. Needless to say, when I came across a recipe for Potatoes Romanoff on What's Gaby Cooking, which she described as "a fancy twice baked potato," I decided I was making it as soon as I possibly could.

I have to say that it did not disappoint. In fact, it's probably one of the tastiest things I've ever made. The picture of the dish came out a little (okay, a lot) yellow because by the time it was done, it was nighttime and all I had to work with was my indoor lighting. I promise it's prettier than it looks in the picture. And plus, what really matters is how tasty it is - and it is very tasty. If you like baked potatoes, you really should try this - you'll thank me later.

The recipe from What's Gaby Cooking says to bake the potatoes the night before, chill them overnight in the fridge, then grate them to make the dish. There was no way I was going to wait overnight to devour this dish, so I just stuck them in the fridge for an hour or two until they cooled enough to grate. If you want to do it as originally called for, this is your official notice from me that you might want to leave yourself extra time for that step. I also added melted butter and bacon bits to the recipe. I don't know if that means it's no longer Potatoes Romanoff since I've never heard of Potatoes Romanoff before, but I do know that the butter and bacon bits make the dish extra delicious.

Ingredients:
  • 2 baking potatoes
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cup of grated aged cheddar (1/2 cup added to potatoes, 1 cup to sprinkle on top)
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream
  • 1/4 cup of melted butter
  • 1/4 cup of bacon bits
  • salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Wrap two baking potatoes in aluminum foil and bake them for one hour. Remove the foil and allow them to cool fully. Refrigerate them if you want to speed the process up.



Grate the potatoes once they are cooled. Mix in the chopped green onions, sour cream, melted butter, 1/2 a cup of grated cheddar, bacon bits, and season it all with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture out in a baking dish and top it with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is browned - about 30-45 minutes. Enjoy!


***

I shared this on the Sunday Showcase Party on Under the Table and Dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing from you!

Are you a no-reply blogger? Make sure you have set your profile to show your email address so that you can get replies to your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...